Microsoft account allows you to access all Microsoft services, including Office, Skype, Outlook, OneDrive, Bing, Xbox, Windows, Store, and MSN. Having a Microsoft account lets you manage everything in one place, helps the users organize their digital life, tracks the device’s health and safety, and updates your privacy and security settings. Most Microsoft users come across the decision to delete their account as they no longer need it because it is a duplicate account. To delete Microsoft account, Microsoft makes sure of the following things:
- The first one is that it’s you who is going to delete your Microsoft account.
- Secondly, you are not leaving anything important behind.
What happens when you delete Microsoft account?
Deleting your Microsoft account means that you will not be able to sign in to the Microsoft products and services you have been using lately. It also removes all the benefits, including Skype ID and contacts, email accounts of Outlook.com, Live, Hotmail, NuGet.org, and MSN, and saved files in OneDrive, Xbox Live, and Gamertag. It is not that you can only delete one service and keep the others.
Things to do before deleting your Microsoft account.
Before you delete your Microsoft account, there are a few things you need to tie up.
- If you are subscribing to other services using your Microsoft account, then cancel the subscriptions.
- Spend all your money associated with your Microsoft account. Once your account is deleted, all your money is gone.
- You might have saved pictures and emails using a Microsoft account. If your account is deleted, then your data is no longer accessible, so back it up somewhere else.
- Be sure to disable the reset protection on any of your devices before deleting your account.
Remember that there is a 60-day grace period to retrieve your Microsoft account before it is deleted forever.
Remove your Microsoft account from Windows.
You can remove your account from the Windows setting. This will not delete your account from the Microsoft server, but it will be removed from your device. To terminate your account, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the Windows button in the bottom-left corner.
- Click on the settings icon.
- Go to the account section.
- Access your account tab and click Remove.
How to delete Microsoft account?
This is where things get real. By this time, you’ve tied up any loose ends, and you should be convinced that you are ready to delete your Microsoft account. You can’t actually delete an account if you are logged in with it. So before deleting, log into another Microsoft account and follow the mentioned steps.
- On the Microsoft website “account.microsoft.com,” log into your Microsoft account.
- Enter your credentials and click Sign in.
- Go to Close your account.
- Then, you are prompted to sign in to your Microsoft account. Verify your account using the verification code and click Verify.
- Click Next.
- Please read the list, and select checkboxes to acknowledge that you’ve read them.
- In the dropdown list, choose a reason why you are closing the account.
- Select Mark account for closure.