Skype is a popular telecommunication application, specialized for video/voice calling over the internet or also in offline mode using some Skype credit. It was once called a king of video chatting platform and one of the widely used video chat applications. But with the appearance of smarter and slimmer video chatting application with more and more exciting features, it somehow has lost its charm and less preferred. Though Skype is still widely used for video conference chat, the appearance of advanced and lite application has made many user’s Skype account unused. Nevertheless, its information might get spammed; hence, you might want to terminate your Skype account.
Unfortunately or woefully, it is not possible to entirely delete your Skype account alone. But if you are in no mood of using it, you can persist with two easy ways explained below.
- You can delete the entire Microsoft account to delete your account permanently.
- You can deactivate your Skype account so that your information is not visible to anyone. Delete all your personal information from the account. It will preserve your other Microsoft services.
How to delete Microsoft account or Skype permanently?
If you persist in following this option to detach yourself from Skype, you will have to delete your whole Microsoft account. Before deleting your Microsoft account permanently, remember the following thing strictly.
- Clear your all Skype credit if you have.
- Clear your Microsoft Live subscription from Microsoft Billing service.
- If you don’t know the password or if someone has hacked your account, you first need to recover your account password.
- Your account will be permanently close only after 60 days of your request. If you login to it before 60 days period, your account will be active again.
- Sometime your deleted account might persist in the server unless other user attempts to use that Skype account id. That might not be the case if you used your phone number to create your ID.
Steps to delete your Skype or Microsoft account permanently:
- Got to Microsoft account Sign in page. Type your Skype ID and click Next.
- Enter your password and click the Sign in button.
- After your Microsoft account is displayed, click on the Security menu.
- Scroll down, and click on more security options.
- Since the security of your Skype account is very sensitive; you need to verify your password again and click the Sign in button.
- Verify your identity by confirming your phone number or your alternate email address. Choose Text or Call to your phone number for receiving Microsoft security code.
- If your given phone number is correct, you will receive a Microsoft security code. Enter the code and click Verify.
- After the verification process, you will be redirected to more security options. Scroll down and search for Close your account heading. Click on Close my account.
- Read the information carefully and Click Next to go ahead.
- Click all the checkbox to ensure that you have read all the information clearly and carefully.
- Click on Select a reason dropdown to select the reason for deleting your account.
- Now, click on mark account for closure to submit your request to delete your Microsoft account permanently.
- Click Done to end your account deleting process. The system will delete your account only after 60 days.
How to deactivate?
Deactivation is another way to close the account. In this process, you will only delete all the personal information from Skype, without effecting other Microsoft services. This process is not closing your account but clearing all your details so that others don’t see you in Skype directories.
- Go to the Skype profile page and click Edit profile, type random character in the mandatory fields.
- Click Save. With this, you will remove your details from Skype directories.